- Rockin’ (Design) Patent: US Design Patent No. D759,746 S
- Filed: 3 October 2014
- In the name of: Ingenious Designs, LLC
- Title: Control Panel For A Musical Instrument
- What’s claimed: “The ornamental design for a control patent for a musical instrument, as shown and described.”
- Why this (design) patent rocks:
- Unlike utility patents, design patents (also called “registered designs”) protect the way all or part of a product looks rather than how it works. This is why the claim here refers to the “ornamental design” for the control panel for a musical instrument “as shown”.
- The inventor/designer indicated on this patent is Joy Mangano who, according to her Wikipedia page (here) “is an American inventor, businesswoman, and entrepreneur known for inventions such as the self-wringing Miracle Mop. She is the president of Ingenious Designs, LLC, and appears regularly on the US television shopping channel HSN”.
- I couldn’t easily spot a real-world product to which this design relates, but it looks like Joy Mangano has previously collaborated with John Legend (see here) and Randy Jackson (see here).