- Rockin’ (Design) Patent: US Design Patent No. D759,153 S
- Filed: 27 February 2015
- In the name of: Artiphon, Inc.
- Title: Electronic Instrument
- What’s claimed: “The ornamental design for an electronic instrument, as shown and described.”
- Why this (design) patent rocks:
- Unlike utility patents, design patents (also called “registered designs”) protect the way all or part of a product looks rather than how it works. This is why the claim here refers to the “ornamental design” for the electronic instrument “as shown”.
- This design patent appears to relate to Artiphon’s INSTRUMENT 1 product, which, according to their website: “is a single device that can be played as a guitar, piano, drum pad, synthesizer, and many other instruments. By connecting the INSTRUMENT 1 to smartphones, tablets, and computers, people of all skill levels can choose from an always-expanding palette of sounds.”
- This video shows the Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1 in action: