- Rockin’ (Design) Patent: US Design Patent No. D758,478 S
- Filed: 30 May 2013
- In the name of: Gaudry Normand
- Title: Percussion Instrument
- What’s claimed: “The ornamental design for a percussion instrument, as shown and described.”
- Why this (design) patent rocks:
- Unlike utility patents, design patents (also called “registered designs”) protect the way all or part of a product looks rather than how it works. This is why the claim here refers to the “ornamental design” for the percussion instrument “as shown”.
- This design patent appears to relate to the Crystal Lyre product. According to the Crystal Lyre website: “Elegant and luminously transparent, this unique instrument has refined curves and a slim profile. Inspired by the ancient Greek lyre and using new high-tech thermoforming, it is the perfect marriage of old and new. According to some art critics, this instrument is a uniquely beautiful work of art and should also be shown in museums”.
- This video seems to show the Crystal Lyre in action…