- Rockin’ (Design) Patent: US Design Patent No. D74,178
- Filed: 28 September 1927
- In the name of: Samuel Kaialiilii Kamaka
- Title: Design For A Ukulele
- What’s claimed: “The ornamental design for a ukulele, as shown.”
- Why this (design) patent rocks:
- Unlike utility patents, design patents (also called “registered designs”) protect the way all or part of a product looks rather than how it works. This is why the claim here refers to the “ornamental design” for the ukulele “as shown”.
- According to the Wikipedia page for Kamaka Ukulele (here), which was founded by Samuel Kaialiilii Kamaka (the inventor), this design arose because his friends thought a new ukulele design looked like a pineapple and one of his friends painted a pineapple on the front of the ukulele. See also here for more information on the Kamaka pineapple ukulele.