- Rockin’ Patent: US Patent No. 745,241
- Filed: 22 August 1903
- In the name of: Giacinto Rossi
- Title: Musical Instrument
- What’s claimed: “In a musical instrument, the combination with a lyre-shaped sound-box, having sound-openings thereon, of a second sound-box communicating with the first-mentioned sound-box, a neck extending from the second sound-box, and strings upon said neck and extending over the sound-box.”
- Why this patent rocks: This rockin’ patent relates to a lyre guitar (a type of guitar shaped like a lyre) with two resonating chambers, one being in the shape of a face. An increased tonal volume is seemingly achieved through the use of multiple sound-holes, which include the creature’s mouth and the inventor’s own initials carved into the body of the instrument.