- Rockin’ (Design) Patent: US Design Patent No. 31876
- Filed: 21 October 1899
- In the name of: Garrett J. Couchois (inventor)
- Title: Design For A Whistle
- What’s claimed: “The design for a whistle as herein shown and described”.
- Why this (design) patent rocks: like this earlier Rockin’ Patent, this design patent relates to a nose flute, but the mouthpiece is cylindrical and the nose cap more closely resembles that of modern nose flutes. This design patent was bought by the proprietors of a well-known nose flute brand, Humanatone. Note that this is a design patent rather than a utility patent and hence products the visual appearance of the depicted product rather than the way it works as such.