- Rockin’ Patent: US Patent No. 477,167
- Filed: 19 November 1891
- In the name of: William Carter (inventor)
- Title: Musical Instrument
- What’s claimed: “A nasalette or musical instrument provided with a nose cap or hood adapted to form a receiver for air blown through the nostrils, a duct for deflecting such air downward from said receiver, and a tubular mouthpiece connected with said duct below and provided with a sounding strip or device for the air expelled from the hood-shaped receiver and through the mouthpiece, substantially as specified”.
- Why this patent rocks: possibly the first recorded example of a modern nose flute (also known as a nose whistle), made of metal. The player’s hairstyle is also pretty cool.