- Rockin’ Patent: US Patent No. 3,439,572
- Filed: 14 April 1967
- Inventor: Martin B. Cohen
- Title: Percussion Instrument
- What’s claimed: “A percussion instrument comprising, a sound chamber, having a cavity with at least one open portion, support means secured to said chamber within said cavity, a plurality of spaced-apart elements slidably coupled to said support means and adapted to strike at least one wall of said chamber, and a vibratory rod member secured to, and external of said sound chamber, and having a hand grip along its length, for imparting sustained vibrations to said chamber”.
- Why this patent rocks: Before I read this patent, I had no idea that the ‘vibraslap‘ is “for simulating the sound of a natural animal jawbone”.