- Rockin’ Patent: US Patent No. US 4,656,917
- Filed: 30 July 1985
- Assignee (owner): Edward L. Van Halen (yep, that’s Eddie Van Halen!!)
- Title: Musical Instrument Support
- What’s claimed: “A stringed musical instrument comprising an instrument body having front and rear surfaces, sound producing means extending over a portion of said front surface, and a device mounted onto said rear surface for positioning said instrument body at an angular orientation to a player’s body, said device including attachment means movable between an inoperative position overlying said rear surface and an operative position at an angle to said rear surface, a pair of spaced-apart mounting blocks attached to said rear surface and support means coupled to said mounting blocks for rotationally supporting therebetween said attachment means, said attachment means engaging said player’s body when in said operative position for maintaining said instrument body in said angular orientation and disengaging from said player’s body when in said inoperative position for maintaining said instrument body in other than said angular orientation”.
- Why this patent rocks: Just look at the Figure above!!